All-Girls EducationIn addition to its coed early childhood program in Grades Toddler through Kindergarten, Visitation Academy is proud to offer the area's only all-girls program in Grades 1-5, an excellent all-girls Middle School for Grades 6-8, and a rigorous college preparatory program for young women in Grades 9-12.
Alumnae who attended Visitation often cite the following benefits from their single-sex education:
- provided advantage when choosing a college and when deciding to take on leadership roles
- instilled self-confidence
- prepared young women for the “real world”
- provided young women with more encouragement in the areas of science, math and technology than coed schools
- felt more prepared for transition to college than coed counterparts
- received higher college entrance test scores
- were more likely to volunteer in community organizations after graduation than coed counterparts
The Sisters of the Visitation knew over 180 years ago what research is finding today about single-sex education. These visionary women instinctively knew about educating girls in an academic setting with equal rigor offered to boys of their era. Visitation’s educational and value system is as relevant for the 21st century as it was for the 19th.